Let's Quest for the Grail
Sir Jeffrey has been really excited about the Collectible Card Game
called Quest for the Grail. Quest is a game of Knights of the Round
performing quests so that they become worthy enough to try to quest for
the Holy Grail. This page will provide information about the games as
information that I think will enhance someone's enjoyment of the game.
Even though I haven't been into CCGs for a long time, I still wanted
a complete set of this game. Early 2004 I completed a set of
Limited Edition cards (Lots of eBay auctions, and lots of luck).
I'm slowly completing a set of Preview Edition (eBay auctions for this
game is becoming quite rare). I also have 20+ playtest cards from the
expansion that never came out that I won off of eBay. If anyone
is using Card
Vault, I have the Limited Edition completed and am slowly getting
Preview cards an playtest expansion cards into the Card Vault
format. I'm also working on the D&D Minis game for Card Vault
working from the original owners files (the current files are 2 minis
sets behind, and there hasn't been an update in about 6 months.
I'll probably put those up too when I get them done).
This was Stone Ring Games official Quest
for the Grail web site which obviously isn't being updated any
more, but there's still some useful info there. If you would like to
know more about the legends
behind the various cards, check out the concordance.
Around 2004, or so, I won an eBay action that were playtest cards for the first
expantion that never happened. The cards that I won are:
- Challenge of Virtue - Event - Play after a Challenge of Honor has been accepted. Winner of Challenge gains loser's Lady Companion if he does not already have a Lady assigned
- Faerie Maid - Lady Companion - Add 2 to the Enchanter value of Warrior to whom this card is assigned and any Enchanter Companions assigned to him.
- King of the Mount - Warrior King - Cost 2; Pro 7; End 4; Str 4; Val 1 - You receive 1 additional Power for every different type of Domain you have in play that no other player has any of in play.
- Lady Mellicine of the White Hand - Lady Companion - +2 Prowess, +3 Endurance. Chosen Knight may not use Combat Actions or Vows.
- Lady Ydain - Lady Companion - +10 Endurance. If chosen Knight does not have the highest Valor in play Ydain is transferred to the Knight with the highest Valor in play who does not already have a Lady Companion.
- Mortal Thrust - Combat Action - Play after roll to double Questing Warrior's Strength and ignore opponent's Armor value in determining damage.
- Pikeman - Warrior - Cost 0; Pro 4; End 2; Str 3; Val 2 - May give Aid to Prowess or Strength to other Pikeman. This card is not Unique.
- Red Rose Knight - Warrior Knight - Cost 3; Pro 7; End 5; Str 4; Val 3 - You may negate one Combat Action card used in any combat in which the Red Rose Knight is a combatant.
- Rhongomyniad - Cost 3 - Weapon Reward - +1 Prowess. +1 Strength. Additional +1 Prowess and +1 Strength when fighting Creature Quests.
- Samhain - Seasonal Event - Discard all other Sesonal Events from play. Enchanters may cast an additional Spell each Round.
- Sir Garlon - Warrior Knight - Cost 3; Pro 9; End 4; Str 2; Val 2 - Enchanter 2. Cannot be challenged by other Warriors.
- Sir Meliot of Logres - Warrior Knight - Cost 3; Pro 8; End 6; Str 3; Val 2 - Enchanter 1. Any Knight defeated by Meliot in Formal Combat must discard a Vow if he has one assigned.
- Sir Mellegrans - Warrior Knight - Cost 3; Pro 6; End 6; Str 6; Val 1 - While Mellegrans is in play Warriors who overcome Quests may not draw a card as a reward.
- Sir Urre of the Mount - Warrior Knight - Cost 2; Pro 8; End 9; Str 5; Val 3 - All damage which Urre takes in combat is Dolorous damage.
- Sir Yder - Warrior Knight - Cost 3; Pro 5; End 5; Str 7; Val 2 - You may discard one of your Domains from play to gain 3 additional Power during your next Upkeep.
- The Sword Curetana - Weapon Reward - Cost 3 - +3 Prowess. If bearer has no Lady Companion Curetana is discarded.
- The Sword of Gaban - Weapon Reward - Cost 2 - +1 Prowess, +1 Strength. Additional +1 Prowess and +1 Strength when fighting Giants or Ettins.
- The Sword of Marmayadose - Weapon Reward - Cost 2 - +1 Prowess, +1 Strength. Additional +3 Strength against any King.
- Time of Corruption - Event - All Knightly Healing costs 3 Valor while this card is revealed. Remains in play until end of game. Keep this card out for reference.
- Time of Despair - Event - Now new Vows may be assigned while this card is in play. Remains in play until end of game. Keep this card out for reference.
So, there you have it. Kind of a nice set of cards. It looks like at least one new mechanic, the Seasonal Event, would have been added to the game with that expansion. Looks like a kind of interesting mechanic.
Below are some cards I came up on my own. Enjoy (Oh, send all
comments to Jeff
May only be undertaken by a Warrior King. The King undertaking
this Quest cannot undertake any other Quest until this Quest is
The King must challenge a King from each player to Combat. If the King
undertaking this Quest is defeated, the Quest is
over and the King loses 2 Valor. If the King undertaking this Quest
defeats a King from each player, that King gains 3 Valor. Treat all
combat as Formal Combat.
Quest for the Grail Links
Here are some links to other Quest for the Grail sites:
- Broceliande - Various things including several decks
- QtfG - Contains a FAQ and some combos
Back to the Gameroom
Back to the Castle
The Quest for the Grail page was written on 03/21/96 by Jeff Schultz